Tuesday, June 11, 2013

How to Make a Tincture pt 2

clean empty jar, tincture, fine mesh strainer, canning funnel

The second part of making a tincture is straining.  You’ll need to let it steep for at least six weeks.  It can be longer if you forget as I sometimes do. 

do it

Can you make tinctures out of something other then alcohol?  Absolutely!  You can use apple cider vinegar or vegetable glycerin.  Just be aware that some herbal constituents are only soluble in alcohol.  This is why I use vodka.  I am extremely tight fisted and that is why I use bottom shelf vodka for the most part.  There are several organic vodkas out there.  The vodka I used in part one of How to Make a Tincture is an organic vodka that I bought from my local liquor store.  Just make sure you are using a proof of 80 or higher.  Check out this Wikipedia article for more science.  
 Why tinctures?  Because most tinctures are made from alcohol, when you ingest them they immediately hit your blood stream.  So the herbs get into you must faster then through your digestion.  Making tinctures more ideal for acute situations.    Susun Weed writes, “tinctures are used when we want to stimulate, sedate, or make use of a poison.”  When she says poison she means something like wormwood, you want to poison parasites.  Or Cat’s Claw for Lyme.  You need only take a few dropperfuls.  Perhaps a tablespoon a day if you take it multiple times.  That’s why tinctures are sold in such little bottles.  Other reasons to have tinctures on hand include plant availability, the little bottles are much more portable then bags of dried herbs and you can instantly take one no waiting.  If there is a dangerous situation going on, having a tincture right there, to use right now is very helpful.  

yup, they do.
There is waste when you wring tincture out like this,
but much less then if you didn't
do tea towels have an actual use?
ta da














How to use tinctures.  I have never seen a tincture on the market that didn’t say how much to use.  The standard seems to be between 20-40 drops 2-3 times a day.  And that is a fine way to do.  I personally ingest two half full droppers at night and two more in the afternoon, because that is what works for me.  I do not know what will work for you!  I am 5’5” my brother is 6’8” there is no way the same amounts would work for him as for me.  Every body is different.  I could even get into Waldorf temperaments here, but I won’t.  I start low, 5 – 10 drops in the morning.  How do you feel?  Is it working?  Have some more in the afternoon and again at night.  


Use a measuring cup with small spout
and optional funnel to pour into tincture bottles

If you are like me and always want to read several things on a subject here is a great article by Susun Weed about tinctures.  
Do you have a question for me about tinctures?  Feel free to ask me in the comments here.  



St. John's Wort tincture at the ready.



No comments: