Sunday, January 8, 2012

drink your greens




Often when people call or text me for herbal advice, it’s for a friend.  Recently a friend texted me for a friend of hers who is pregnant.  She is experiencing nausea and heartburn. 

Usually I would call the texter and ask more direct questions.  However in this case I was otherwise occupied with the tasks of the day.  So I chose to respond with a “prescription” of a few of the most innocuous and most healthful herbs I know of. 

Nettles, red clover, red raspberry leaf and hawthorn.  Take two mason jars and call me in the morning.  I chose these herbs for two reasons.  The first being my own experience with the herbs.  After I birthed my second in ’07 I felt, well, let’s just say, not good.  I read in an issue of Mothering magazine (moment of silence RIP Mothering magazine) about a sleepless mother who had medicated herself with calcium/magnesium drops.  I thought that’s what I need!  But I didn’t know where to get the drops and frankly didn’t have the wherewithal to pursue them.  What I did have was a well worn copy of one of my favorite herbals of all time, Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year, by Susun Weed.  This book has an extremely informative Apendix 1 which lists vitamins and mineral and the herbs they can be commonly found in.  So first I looked to the Calcium list:
alfalfa, red clover, raspberry leaf, comfrey, nettles, parsley, watercress, cleavers, horsetail, coltsfoot, plantain, chamomile, shepard’s purse, borage, chicory, dulse, dandelion and kelp.
  Lovely info, if not extremely overwhelming.  Okay, let’s look at what she lists for magnesium:
Alfalfa, bladder wrack, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, dandelion, eyebright, fennel, fenugreek, hops, horsetail, lemongrass, licorice, mullein, nettle, oat straw, paprika, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaf, red clover, sage, shepherd's purse, yarrow, yellow dock.  

Do you see what I see?  Nettles, raspberry leaf and red clover are in both lists!  In ’07 I got out my highlighter, at this time I had a three year old and a baby so I still had highlighters.   I went through the list of vitamins and minerals highlighting those three herbs.

I found that nettles are a source of, vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B5, C, D, E and K.  As well as a source for the minerals calcium, chromium, iron, magnesium, potassium, selenium and zinc.

Red Clover is a source for A, B1, B2, B3 and C.  Minerals Calcium, chromium, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum and potassium.

Raspberry leaf is a source for A, B1, B2, B3, C and E.  As well as a source for the minerals calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese and selenium. 

It’s impossible to overdose on any of these herbs, they are safe for children, the elderly and the infirm.  I feel safe advising anyone at all to ingest them and they are extremely healthful.  A person can only eat so much kale in a day.  The same person however can drink herbal infusions throughout the day.  Morning sickness is often caused by hunger that is past the point of no return, or vitamin deficiency.  That is why I felt this friend of a friend who I’ve never met or even spoken to, should take nettle, raspberry leaf and red clover. 

As for the hawthorn, well, that’s a different story.  Hawthorn has a long history as a heart support herb.  It is indicated for hypertension and even early stages of hear disease.  Why would I tell a completely stranger to try this herb?  Well, because I felt like it fit.  I don’t want to hang myself out here as a complete woo woo herbalist.  I’m following my intuition on this one.  Secondly and this is also the second reason my mind immediately went to raspberry, nettles and clover, secondly hawthorn is my herbal ally.  These herbs are my friends.  I want to introduce you to the idea of herbal allies because I feel it’s an important concept.  These are the herbs you consistently choose.  These herbs are most likely no further than 3 or 4 minutes walking distance from your home.  I’ll be talking more about this idea in the future, I want to get you warmed up to the idea that plants love us back and want to be our friends. 


For now though let me share with you my not so much as a recipe but a method for making herbal infusions.  First things first you are going to need some heatproof containers that have lids.  I use mason jars, you probably do too.  Fill your tea pot to the brim and get your water good and hot.  In the meantime, stuff those mason jars with herbs.  Use a canning funnel, it’s much easier.  I usually fill my jars a quarter to a third of the way.  I use a handful or two of each herb!  No more that two or three different herbs.  When the water is hot, pour it into the jars slowly, the dried herbs can expand and take you by surprise.  When you’ve got your jars full, quickly put a lid on them.  I do this at night.  Then in the morning I strain my now cool herbal infusions into a pitcher.  I put the herbs into my compost bucket, then pour the infusion back into the jars that I’ll be drinking it from all day.  I drink 2-3 jars of infusion a day when the spirit moves me.  This is strong stuff and the flavor is strong too.  You may want to water it down or add honey.  That’s okay, do what works for you.  Start small and get to know the herbs you are ingesting. 

6 comments:

Emma said...

Would you combine nettles, raspberry leaf, and red clover all into one infusion? And does it matter if they're fresh or dry?

Unknown said...

Dried or fresh makes no matter. Mix and match. All in the same jar. It's an herb party in a jar.

Erin said...

I was just reading through my MRH catalog this morning and I circled these very same herbs! How strange....

How much do you order at once? If you're drinking 2-3 jars a day, you must go through a lot!

Unknown said...

In truth Erin I always buy my herbs at KWF or Kings Herb Nook. I don't go through as much as it would seem, because I don't consistently drink the infusion. In other words, it's probably one week on, one off. Maybe they are your allies as well.

Nicole said...

Do you feel comfortable recommending red clover during pregnancy? I understand that some herbalist do and other do not. Red clover is one of my green friends but I have always left it out of pregnancy blends because of phytoestrogens...I'm interested in your thoughts.

Unknown said...

Nic, I think that depends on who you are giving it to. Is it someone who is going to take it every day? Or is the person going to take it sporadically. And how much are they going to take, also are they eating any soy? I usually put 5-7 blossoms between two jars.