Wednesday, January 25, 2012

wolf moon intentions

new moon


 Lately I've been thinking about the sacred nature of our daily lives.  I sometimes find myself saving things for a special day.  Okay, hoarding.  This doesn't mean buying a special treat for Valentines day a month in advance.  This mean have a stack of pretty soaps in a drawer, "nice" pens or the "good" towels.  I thought about what I was telling myself by saving these things.  Was today not nice?  I think this may be called Living Juicy.  That sounds pretty good to me.  I used to eat a lot of candy, a l o t.  A lot for me any how.  Movie theater boxes of junior mints and nonpareils add up.  My husband said to me, "why don't you use the money you're using to buy candy and buy flowers?"  This was hard, because I didn't want to be buying so much candy and I did want to buy flowers.  I love having fresh cut flowers and live plants in my house.  We lived within walking distance from Produce Junction a ginormous bouquet of spray roses and three pots of live primroses may set you back about $8.  The problem was that I was addicted to the candy, feeling guilty for eating something so unhealthful and for spending the cash.  Spending the money on flowers was to only feel guilty for the money aspect.  But our whole family would be enjoying the plants, whereas no one was really enjoying the candy.

Something in my brain changed when I had my third child.  My kindhearted midwife and doula helped me encapsulate my placenta.  I was planning to take four capsules daily, two at breakfast, tow at dinner.  I can't tell you how incredible a difference there was for me after ingesting my placenta.  Life changing.  I recommend this practice to all.  But then I had a very silly thought, "maybe I should save these capsules just in case."   Then I thought, how does postpartum depression happen?  Does it happen over time?  Does it hit you in surprise?  I had some very severe PPD symptoms nearly six month after my second son was born.  (enter candy)  If I had had placenta pills to take then things would have been different.  But what about heading things off at the pass? That's the tact I chose to take.  I took all of my placenta pills, four a day until I ran out.



Sometimes I feel like my mind is so filled up by all the tasks and noises and children I forget that I've now decided to live juicy.  I forget that there is no reason to hoard the ideas and good times.  That's when I find myself saying no more than yes.  What I really want to say is yes!  Yes, yes YES!  Let's paint!  Let's make whatever you want!  Yes please, may I read you a story?!  This is why I want to set an intention for this moon, Wolf Moon to Snow moon, to say yes.  Starting with tonight, I'm saying yes, let's go to Chipotle for dinner.  This also meas saying yes to myself.  Not trying to force myself to live a certain way or go with out.  I think we'll all be happier this way.

Do try to live your life with intention?  Will you share with us?

2 comments:

Heather Shuker said...

I love your reflections on saving special things for that ever elusive 'some day'. You're right, today is in fact some day. This epiphany came to me when I was going through some things from my childhood and I found a collection of my 'favorite' pencils. They were unsharpened. I loved them so much I chose never to use them so they would last forever. In the end, they were thrown away, unused.

There is no such thing as forever when it comes to people. We are ephemeral beings just as surely as the herbs you write about. And if we don't use up our passion today, tomorrow it may very well be gone. It might not, but why take the chance?

I love hearing someone else's take on something I think quite a bit about, even if I don't necessarily live it as I wish I would.

Thank you for writing.

Unknown said...

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful response Heather. Why take the chance, I like that.