Wednesday, May 1, 2013

In which I announce new things.




I know I’ve mentioned it before, but I’ll say it again.  I love making herbal products.  I love making tinctures, syrups, lotion, lip balm, salves, hand cream and on and on.  In an effort to do what I love in a way that inspires me I’ve decided to open an herbal CSA. 

What is a CSA? In case you are unaware of what the CSA model is, it means Community Supported Agriculture.  I think it’s a really cool concept.  The community supports the farmer monetarily and the farmer supports the community with good healthy food.  All of the CSAs I have looked into a share member either makes a lump sum payment or breaks it into several.  This way the farmers have money up front so they can purchase supplies such as gas for their tractors or new plastic sheeting for row covers.  Because CSA farmers are doing what they love they don’t take the money and run and it doesn’t discourage them from putting their all in to their work even they’ve already been paid. 

An herbal CSA works similarly.  The herbalist collects payment up front so he or she can buy supplies, such as packaging, dried herbs and different alcohols.  Otherwise an herbal can find herself sourcing organic vegetable glycerin at $57 a gallon for phantom customers.  The difference is, for this herbal CSA you will get your share in the mail, instead of picking it up at the farm. 



My Kimberton Herbal CSA will be a four seasons CSA.  Meaning if you join, you will receive herbal goodies in your mail box four times this year.  Each season I will gather, wildcraft and create seasonally appropriate herbal goodness for you. 

  • Spring will bring a Spring Cleaning Tonic Tea made from wildcrafted and purchased spring herbs such as violet leaves, nettles and dandelion.
  • In Summer comes an After Sun Sea Buckthorn spray.  Sea Buckthorn is a wonderful herb for burns.  It has a history of being used after nuclear disasters!  My after sun spray contains not only sea buckthorn, but other herbs to sooth and heal your summer skin.
  • Autumn finds you Immune Building Soup Starter.  A packet of immune boosting herbs and medicinal mushrooms to add to your soup pot.
  • Finally in Winter you will receive a 10 oz bottle of my famous Elderberry and Rosehip Syrup.  Traditional medicine to fight the flu. 

You will receive three items each month, this just a taste of what could be coming your way!



Okay so how much does this cost?  The total cost for Four Seasons CSA is $150, shipping included.  But RIGHT NOW I am having a fundraiser to raise money so that I can attend Sacred Pregnancy instructor training.  I have listed my CSA and also my Soap of the Month club as perks.  This means you can join my CSA for $125, a $25 discount! 

You can also purchase a three month membership to my Soap of the Month club for only $40!  Each month you’ll get two bars of my handmade soap.

And just for fun you can buy a $5 raffle ticket to win a first aid kit put together by me.


In 17 days when my fundraiser is closed you will be able to join through my new Etsy shop.   

1 comment:

The Clever Cake said...

You might want to add this to your listings. I had no idea what a CSA was when I read it. Sounds like a great idea!